Re: Repo Name

Sam Curren

Your point (reminder) about the -comm I think is well made. DID messaging rolls off the tongue

didcomm-messaging is the frontrunner then.

Orie proposed the monorepo alternative. Any last opinions about that approach?

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 5:23 PM Daniel Hardman <daniel.hardman@...> wrote:
I'm pretty aligned with this--but I want to ask a question.

Tobias, when you and I discussed the notion of making room for other didcomm variants (e.g., for streaming or multicast), I thought "didcomm" was imagined as the uber term for all of them. Right?

Given this, I thought the narrower terms would be things like "didcomm messaging" and "didcomm streaming" --- not just "DID messaging" or "DID streaming". So my question is, how did we lose the "-comm" part?

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 3:38 PM Tobias Looker <tobias.looker@...> wrote:
Thanks Sam, as I said on the call I think a pattern has already begun to emerge at DIF where a WG creates a repo for a distinct work item giving it an appropriate name and tagging it with the working group name. With that pattern in mind I would suggest the following convention.

Calling the repo did-messaging and tagging it with wg-didcomm on github.

To add further weight to this, I also think a similar pattern is present at places like the w3c-ccg, where a new repo is created per distinct work item, this has the benefit of keeping things like issues scoped to the topic rather than spanning all work items of a WG.

To aid in educating newcomers to the did-comm WG I think we should leverage a wiki which lists the work items of a WG and links to them.

Thanks,
Mattr website
Tobias Looker
Mattr
+64 (0) 27 378 0461
tobias.looker@...
Mattr websiteMattr on LinkedInMattr on TwitterMattr on Github

This communication, including any attachments, is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not read it - please contact me immediately, destroy it, and do not copy or use any part of this communication or disclose anything about it. Thank you. Please note that this communication does not designate an information system for the purposes of the Electronic Transactions Act 2002.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 10:09 AM Sam Curren <telegramsam@...> wrote:
At the end of today's call, we had a mostly open question about the name of the repo to create to host our initial work. The two proposed names are did-messaging and didcomm-spec.

did-messaging would contain the specs related to DID messaging. Other specs (streaming etc.) would need a new repo.

didcomm-spec would host multiple specs under the same repo.

Please continue to voice your opinion here, so we can get the repos created soon.

Sam

Join didcomm-wg@DIF.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.