Re: Interop meeting - today
The Ethical Imperative! "Act always so as to increase the number of choices.". A preferred form is "I always act so as to increase the number of choices."†
In our context, I would extend this to *meaningful* choices. That means individuals and other adopters of SSI should not be locked-in either for lack of standards or for standards that do not promote real-world competition and choice at a practical level. The DHS SVIP program has set a good example so far. I hope we can extend von Foerster's ethics approach more broadly.
On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:08 AM Taylor Kendal <taylor@...
As follow-on to the “define interop” discussion.
Is it possible/reasonable to land on a common denominator (highest level possible) which could broaden/narrow based on groups represented?
The ability of a system to work with or use the component parts of another system.
Or a bit more specific:
The ability for different systems, devices or applications to connect, in a coordinated manner, within and across organizational boundaries to access, exchange and cooperatively use data amongst stakeholders.
Then the inevitable moving targets fall under various sub-domains (foundational, structural, semantic, organizational, etc.)
Also, as far as “outputs,” I think there’s intangible value in simply having a neutral venue for building/sharing context.
*Recommended practice: join DIF interop wg :)
Food for thought...
A few reminders about today's meeting and next week's:
- The nomination of chairs will close - if you have not, please nominate using this form
- Election of chairs will happen over email. You'll receive information after the meeting
- It will be open for one week
- Ballots will be checked against the attendance records of this group: 2 of the last four meetings when ballots close, i.e., last two meetings, today, and next week's.
- During today's meeting, we'll do a little more issue review on the charter, a little discussion of the ballot, and the rest of the time will be to discuss workitems and roadmap
Operations @ DIF
Join interop-wg@DIF.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.