Re: Interop meeting - today

Adrian Gropper

I'm a fan of the ethics perspective on interoperability as articulated by Heinz von Foerster: http://www.cybsoc.org/heinz.htm

The Ethical Imperative! "Act always so as to increase the number of choices.". A preferred form is "I always act so as to increase the number of choices."†

In our context, I would extend this to *meaningful* choices. That means individuals and other adopters of SSI should not be locked-in either for lack of standards or for standards that do not promote real-world competition and choice at a practical level. The DHS SVIP program has set a good example so far. I hope we can extend von Foerster's ethics approach more broadly.

- Adrian

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:08 AM Taylor Kendal <taylor@...> wrote:
As follow-on to the “define interop” discussion.

Is it possible/reasonable to land on a common denominator (highest level possible) which could broaden/narrow based on groups represented?

The ability of a system to work with or use the component parts of another system.

Or a bit more specific:

The ability for different systems, devices or applications to connect, in a coordinated manner, within and across organizational boundaries to access, exchange and cooperatively use data amongst stakeholders.

Then the inevitable moving targets fall under various sub-domains (foundational, structural, semantic, organizational, etc.)

Also, as far as “outputs,” I think there’s intangible value in simply having a neutral venue for building/sharing context.
*Recommended practice: join DIF interop wg :)

Food for thought...

Taylor Kendal, CPO