Re: Interop meeting - today

Adrian Gropper

I'm a fan of the ethics perspective on interoperability as articulated by Heinz von Foerster: http://www.cybsoc.org/heinz.htm

The Ethical Imperative! "Act always so as to increase the number of choices.". A preferred form is "I always act so as to increase the number of choices."†

In our context, I would extend this to *meaningful* choices. That means individuals and other adopters of SSI should not be locked-in either for lack of standards or for standards that do not promote real-world competition and choice at a practical level. The DHS SVIP program has set a good example so far. I hope we can extend von Foerster's ethics approach more broadly.

- Adrian

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:08 AM Taylor Kendal <taylor@...> wrote:
As follow-on to the “define interop” discussion. 

Is it possible/reasonable to land on a common denominator (highest level possible) which could broaden/narrow based on groups represented?

The ability of a system to work with or use the component parts of another system.

Or a bit more specific:

The ability for different systems, devices or applications to connect, in a coordinated manner, within and across organizational boundaries to access, exchange and cooperatively use data amongst stakeholders.

Then the inevitable moving targets fall under various sub-domains (foundational, structural, semantic, organizational, etc.) 

Also, as far as “outputs,” I think there’s intangible value in simply having a neutral venue for building/sharing context. 
*Recommended practice: join DIF interop wg :)

Food for thought...

Taylor Kendal, CPO

Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 6:00:39 AM
To: interop-wg@dif.groups.io <interop-wg@dif.groups.io>
Subject: Interop meeting - today

Dear all,

A few reminders about today's meeting and next week's:
  • The nomination of chairs will close - if you have not, please nominate using this form
  • Election of chairs will happen over email.  You'll receive information after the meeting
  • It will be open for one week
  • Ballots will be checked against the attendance records of this group: 2 of the last four meetings when ballots close, i.e., last two meetings, today, and next week's.
  • During today's meeting, we'll do a little more issue review on the charter, a little discussion of the ballot, and the rest of the time will be to discuss workitems and roadmap
Best regards,
 --

Balázs Némethi
Operations @ DIF

Join interop-wg@DIF.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.