Topics

I'm a doctor, my medical society is embracing SSI, what are they telling me to do?

Adrian Gropper

This is not hypothetical. The Massachusetts Medical Society is inviting presentations about SSI.

As a doctor, I have:
  • NPI (a national provider identifier, is useful for getting paid)
  • DEA number (allows me to sign prescriptions for controlled substances)
  • username allows me to sign-in to a patient's health record
I've been told that SSI will let me sign things and authenticate into systems in a way that is more convenient, more secure, and offers more services to my patients - if I add SSI to my iPhone.

I hope that my medical society will suggest what to do or maybe even offer a member benefit that gets me started.

- Adrian

Michael Shea

Hi Adrian,

Have you taken a look at Truu?  I know that they are doing something similar with the NHS.

Michael S.

Adrian Gropper

Hi Michael,

Truu is a reasonable solution. I wrote a proposal for a more decentralized version for the recent DHS SVIP program. It was rejected so I just posted it for discussion in our SSI community. In the proposal, I suggest the post office role (using existing certified mail) as well as typical notaries using a notary wallet (how is a notary wallet going to be different from a postal worker's wallet?). https://www.dropbox.com/s/09gz5ihq0rjfncf/Trustee%20Notary%20-%20DHS%20SVIP.pdf?dl=0

The real question for all of us is: How many SSI-enabled wallets do we expect each person to have? If everyone, be they doctors or farmers, has one, two, or three wallets (for backup) what becomes Truu's business?

- Adrian