Topics

Test suits at interop WG!

Balázs Némethi

Dear all,

We will work on Test Suits!

We got the green light that the Interop WG will have the power and capacity to work and deliver test suits. I was not completely correct last time with my over-cautious approach. Test suits require no IPR as it stands!

We will clarify this in the coming weeks with the lawyers but we are told that the group should start planning the test suits!

best regards,

--

Balázs Némethi
Operations @ DIF

orie

Looking forward to discussing what a test suite is, what test fixtures are, what the difference between unit and integration tests are, why deterministic tests are critical, how normative spec statements are related to testable statements and why that relationship matters.

and here is one of my favorite RFCs https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7520

it's what helps you prove your JOSE implementation is correct.

OS

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 2:31 PM Balázs Némethi <balazs@...> wrote:
Dear all,

We will work on Test Suits!

We got the green light that the Interop WG will have the power and capacity to work and deliver test suits. I was not completely correct last time with my over-cautious approach. Test suits require no IPR as it stands!

We will clarify this in the coming weeks with the lawyers but we are told that the group should start planning the test suits!

best regards,

--

Balázs Némethi
Operations @ DIF

--
ORIE STEELE
Chief Technical Officer

sankarshan

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020, 01:50 orie <orie@...> wrote:
Looking forward to discussing what a test suite is, what test fixtures are, what the difference between unit and integration tests are, why deterministic tests are critical, how normative spec statements are related to testable statements and why that relationship matters.

Possibly through a small component example and then building out to the entire system.

and here is one of my favorite RFCs https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7520

it's what helps you prove your JOSE implementation is correct.

OS

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 2:31 PM Balázs Némethi <balazs@...> wrote:
Dear all,

We will work on Test Suits!

We got the green light that the Interop WG will have the power and capacity to work and deliver test suits. I was not completely correct last time with my over-cautious approach. Test suits require no IPR as it stands!

This is good news. One aspect of the interoperability concept should be an approach like a litmus test - a relatively easy way to understand the state of system B in context of the attributes exhibited by system A. Leading to somewhat easier determination of whether the whole or parts of B and A are interoperable.

On the other thread Adrian mentioned about a "top down" approach. While we consider this I'd like to position the notion that interoperability is significant in design decisions of operators (those who implement a complete technology stack to deliver SSI based services). I believe that we will need to keep this (focus?) group or persona in mind as the deliverables such as white papers and recommendations are produced.

System designers do benefit from artefacts and routines which lead to interoperability. System users perceive the value and resulting benefits. As the discussion evolves it seems to me that there is a need to record the end user flows/experience which could form the basis for testing, measuring and drawing inferences about interoperability.